Just for a short time it would be nice to stop thinking - or at least to only consider banal stuff like how much chocolate to eat and whether I really need a second glass of wine. (I do, actually) We have been stuck in analysis paralysis for a week or more, the final and most traumatic of the decision making process which has been gathering pace since last summer.
Last summer, we decided we really would benefit from more space, and despite loving our current home we decided to put it on the market and at the same time consider the alternative - extending. The latter initially appeared ideal but we hadn't bargained for our new neighbours (retired couple with little else to do it seems) putting up the mother of all fights to ensure our plans were blocked, befriending the local council and making THE most ridiculous song and dance about the mere duplication of what everyone else in our situation has been doing on this estate for years. I guess it served to focus the mind, and although we revised, resubmitted and had plans of a sort passed we became committed to moving.
Then R changed jobs, and the nice little plan or dropping J at his early morning school bus each day started to look less than realistic. Throw the proposed dissolution of our Middle School System into the equation, with the peak disruption poised to coincide perfectly with H's transfer and moving started to look extremely attractive. Time to simplify, consolidate and upgrade. Cool.
Pity the Recession didn't share our new found enthusiasm. The ridiculous HIP requirement has resulted in a housing market less fluid than treacle and now completely lacking in the "just testing the water" percentage which previously gave a more dynamic feel. We've had plenty of viewers. We *apparently* have at least two buyers - but they can't sell either and thus the whole thing grinds to a halt something like Essex roads after the Winter of Discontent which created more pot-holes than the lava roads of Lanzarote. I know - I've been there.
So, in a potentially futile attempt to swim against the tide of apathy endemic in the housing market we are going to brave, possibly foolish and most definitely proactive. We're buying, never mind the selling.... but which one? A choice of two...... and that choice is, quite literally, doing my head in. We've done the floor plan comparison, walked countless times from each to the school three of the children will attend, considered the immediate locality for both and compiled copious "for/against" lists. None of it helps but seems to merely add to the general confusion however, so I seriously think we have only one option left, that of tossing a coin!
So major changes are imminent in the lives of all family members which we (all, actually) find quite exciting, and hopefully we will surge past the current Stalemate and emerge with a new home and proposed lifestyle in the next week or so! I'll keep you updated - and if you know anyone who wants to buy a lovely 4 bed, please send them our way!!