Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Broken Google Blog Search Widget

Lots of people are discovering that the Google Blog Search Widget has broken and Google have no urgent intentions of fixing it. There is a Google thread about it which I posted some code my husband wrote as a workaround. It's not perfect, and it doesn't bring up a neat little list of post results so if you are searching for something with a number of results it's going to be a long list of full results.... but it's the best out there at the moment.

On this Blog you will see I have located it on the right hand bar, under the Google Search widget, so try it out and see.

If you wish to add it to your own blog you will need to do the following:-

1) Log in to Blogger
2) Select "Design" from the top right
3) Select "Layout" from the list which comes up on the left hand side




4) Select "Add a gadget"



5)Select HTML/Javascript



6)Then past in the following code:-

<form action="search" name="input" method="get">
<input value="Search" name="q" size="20" type="text"/>
<input value="Go!" type="submit"/>
</form>


7)You can give it any title you like - mine says "Temporary Blog Search until Google fix theirs!".
Then save, and you're done.

My other half wrote it as I was getting desperate!
Hopefully the original Google version will soon be fixed. Don't hold you breath though...

26 comments:

  1. it works thanks but code in a picture is not so easy to cut and paste :)




    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is a REALLY good point! have changed that now!
    Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget about making this "Temporary." It works a whole lot better than the widget ever did! Thanks for putting this out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not on blogger, but looks very helpful for those bloggers who are, well done to you and your hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, is this still broken?! I installed Google Custom Search Engine instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. super handy! although I noticed mine was fixed yesterday? x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankfully this doesn't affect me as I'm not on Blogger. Must be so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah I think a lot of people will be very grateful that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol Fritha - just checked and yes, it's been fixed in the past two days!! How typical is that lol we've all been waiting months!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome stuff. I'm afraid I'm on WP though but this sounds incredibly useful to everyone on Blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for this. My search box has not been working for a while, but it's one of those things I've not addressed yet. Will get cracking with this tomorrow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very handy, well done for posting it up. I'll have to test mine and if it doesn't work I'll be using this! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use Typepad so don't really know what this does, but will be sure to pass it on to those I know who use blogger :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was finding this very frustrating as I wanted to check I hadn't labelled any parmesan recipes as vegetarian (I hadn't!) and couldn't search for them. I'm glad it's fixed now - but will remember this if it breaks again!

    Seems weird that a company known as being a search engine is struggling with a search widget! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really good of you to share a fix to the solution

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the Google widget is FINALLY fixed now :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for taking the time to comment, I really value your responses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...